As technology continues to rapidly advance, the role of a senior developer has become increasingly crucial in ensuring the success of a software development team. But what exactly does it mean to be a senior dev? In this interview-style blog post, I talked to fellow Athenian and senior developer, Mariana Carballal and she dove into the ins and outs of what it takes to reach this esteemed title, including the necessary skills, responsibilities, and mindset required to excel in this position.
While the textbook definition of a senior developer may sound impressive – “an experienced programmer who has accumulated years of technical knowledge and expertise, and is able to guide and mentor junior team members” – it doesn’t quite capture the essence of what it means to be a senior dev in the real world. It’s not just about being a programming wizard, but also being a master communicator, a problem solver extraordinaire, and a wearer of many hats (metaphorically speaking, unless you’re really into hats). And let’s not forget about the ability to make a mean pot of coffee, because sometimes that’s just as important as writing impeccable code.
“Software development motivated me for its challenges and career path. I enjoy solving problems in a field that is constantly evolving.
I became a senior developer by gaining experience in diverse projects and welcoming all new challenges.”Mariana Carballal, Senior Developer at Athenaworks
Skills and Experience
What do you think are the most important technical and non-technical skills that a senior developer should possess?
- I believe a Senior developer should provide solid solutions and peer-reviews. They should also give accurate estimations and be an active participant during team meetings helping other members of the team such as QA, Product or other developers.
How can someone demonstrate their skills and experience to be considered for a senior developer role?
- I believe preparing well for the interview and being able to express themselves by clearly highlighting their skills and experience. It’s also important to answer technical questions comprehensively.
What attracted you to come and take on the role at Athenaworks?
- Athenaworks’ mission to empower women in tech and offering opportunities to grow professionally definitely were a selling point for me early on. I liked the culture and the flexibility of the work environment. Being remote-first allows me to have full control of my schedule and prioritize things in my own way, both in my personal and professional life.
Leadership and Mentorship
What are the responsibilities of a senior developer beyond just writing code? How do they approach leadership and mentorship as a senior dev to junior devs?
- Beyond writing code, they should write technical documentation. When it comes to mentoring junior developers, always be approachable and open to questions of any kind. Also being supportive and providing feedback.
What qualities should a senior developer possess in order to effectively mentor and lead?
- Good communication, always thinking as a team and always improving their own technical skills.
Collaboration and Communication
How does a senior developer collaborate with other members of the team?
- By participating in meetings and public channels. With Code reviews, ticket refining and troubleshooting.
What communication skills are necessary to be a successful senior developer? How can a senior developer ensure that they are effectively communicating with other team members?
- They should be clear and able to communicate to not only their peers but also to other stakeholders that may not be as technical as them. To ensure effective communication they should always ask for feedback.
Personal and Professional Development
What steps can a senior developer take to continue developing their skills and knowledge and stay up-to-date with new technologies and industry trends?
- Have personal projects, look for opportunities to learn a new technology. Read online publications and news, take new courses. There are plenty of platforms like Udemy or even Youtube to learn from and continue growing.
What are some challenges you have faced as a senior developer, and how have you overcome them?
- There’s the challenge of balancing technical and leadership workload. It requires to refine time management and to be over communicative in order to overcome this challenge.
What advice would you give to someone who is aspiring to become a senior developer?
- Continuously learn about what you are working on and in your technical skills. Check your peers’ work and provide feedback.
So we’ve learned from Mariana that being a senior dev isn’t just about writing flawless code or having a prestigious title – it’s about taking responsibility for the success of the team, being able to navigate through tough challenges and sharing your knowledge and experience with others. Whether you’re on the path of becoming a senior dev or you already are one, it’s important to keep honing your skills and staying up to date with all the latest technologies. At the end of the day, being a senior dev isn’t just a job- it’s a mindset.
Looking for a job in software development? Check out our open positions by clicking here.